Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Friday, February 8, 2008

Until Next Time...

Despite my vigorous training on the uneven parallel bars and best efforts to pack by process of elimination, I'm still not quite ready to leave physcially. Regardless of what I've already done, there always seems to be more. However, mentally I am more than ready. I've been waiting to flee the country for a year and a half, and frankly I'm pretty damn excited to get this show on the road. Then of course there's the emotional aspect...I have accepted the fact that I will miss important events in the lives of those close to me but that does not make it any easier to know that I will miss births, weddings, deaths and shit, maybe even a bar mitzvah. But really, how does one go about saying goodbye to everything and everyone they know? That's when the realization comes to me, I'm not necessarily dying. Well, not anytime soon. So until that's actually the case, I am simply going with "until next time."

I truly don't think there is anything that can really prepare me for this adventure. Not even a little one on one training with Bela. It is inevitable, who wouldn't be anxious? I mean who wouldn't be concerned about the potential stray dog attacks but at least I know that "Running near dogs, especially when carrying large threatening backpacks, is not a good idea. If you do get bitten, you’ll be required to watch the culprit dog for a few days to ensure it doesn’t have rabies." Really?? I'm not watching S#@*! However, my dad does want to get me a walking stick with mase that shoots out the end to keep those strays away. Do they even actually make those? I passed.

On a more anxious note, I truly am fretting the whole language barrier. I have recieved some good materials and should have been practicing some of the Romanian fundamentals but I'll be the first to admit, I have not. I regret that decision immediately, but I am having a hard time preparing for a new chapter in my life, when I'm trying to finish this one up. Once I get there though, I will be ready to go 110%. I am just acknowledging that there WILL be a lot of awkward moments for a long time but hey...those are my favorite! Nothing like trying to play charades with your new host family and you draw "I clogged your Loo."

Anyhow, just over a week left before departure. I've been done with work for the past two weeks and living with my parents for the past week and its been grand. As hard as it will be to finally go, it has been fun taking in all my favorites one last time. I'm headed up north one more time with my sisters and friends for some quality bonding time to last me two years. It's all very bitter sweet but I'm ready. In fact, I can't wait...move over Nadia!

12 comments:

Joanna said...

Yes! I get the first comment. I know exactly how you feel about the whole leaving thing. But from someone who has been gone and come back again, it does suck to miss all that stuff like birthdays, but it makes you appreciate it even more when you're back. Unless of course, you get lost in Transylvania forever...
Also, I know how it feels to do the charade explanation of "I clogged your loo" to the host family. Try to avoid it.

Business in China Study Abroad Program w/ Hamline University said...

Uhhhh, I'm so sad that you're leaving Bets, just when I feel like our relationship has really started to blossom. Well, maybe I'll be able to come visit? I know you will have an astronomically exilerating time in Romania as Nadia Comaneche. Best of luck buddy on your new adventure! It'll be GREAT!

I will miss you.

Lots of love,
EJPizzle

Rebecca said...

Your leaving is very sad indeed. With whom will I play pocket pool, or dildo bingo? Yes, you are very ready for this adventure!The language issue is not to be worried about since 99% of the other volunteers will be in the same boat. (It's not like Romanian is taught as a foreign language in high school!) Pack your leotard, do a few deep, cleansing squats, and enjoy the spotlight!

Orderly Housewife said...

I think you would look awesome in a leotard....Jim has some you can borrow.
We'll miss you little butt-sy.
Bridget

Anonymous said...

Oh, Betsichu! You are more than ready! Make sure to rehearse all those disco hits from the 70s that you'd serenade me during those long nights along the Napo!

Enjoy Romania... and may I also suggest you bring a couple extra leotards just in case Romanians find them fashionable and you, oh sweet Betsichu, feel like spreading the love...

Queen Gabitch

Anonymous said...

Betsy...I am so sorry that I missed your party. I was having my own party in our bathroom...not pretty! I will be calling you to see if Bob and I might be able to take you to "Tifs" for one last burger and beer. I am excited for you to go on such a wonderful journey to the unknown. I love the unknown and the excitement/anxiety that come with new experiences as when I went to Israel and Singapore to work (although a much shorter period of time!) You will do a fantastic job and I can't wait to read your entries. We love you Bets and will miss you greatly, but we know you are following your heart and that's the most important thing! Be safe...Love you much, Uncle Bob and Auntie Julie

Amy Springer said...

I wish you the best! I can't wait to read your blog updates!

Anonymous said...

hey im gonna miss ya .. :(

crystal said...

Good luck on your journey Bets. Be safe and stay in touch.

Karena said...

Hey Rowley,
I'm a new addition to your list of adoring fans, but your departure will nonetheless be a bummer for me...I mean leaotard it up, woman, but I'm with Rebecca - going to the fuzzy pie, whooping it up with some dildo bingo and free pool for chick and man lovers alike - will lack its luster and excitement minus you. I wish you well in your adventure, woman.

The original pirate-patched one

grandma said...

HI Bets. I hope I figured this out. I will check back often.
Love Grandma Squirrel

Unknown said...

I got the "Hello" from Meghan. Hope you are doing well. Don't forget to take a few pictures you can share with your pals when you come back! Be brave - you can do it. Have some fun too! I look forward to hear how you are doing throughout this journey. - John