Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Morning Glory

What a glorious day! As soon as I woke up it began to snow and within an hour the ground and roof tops were covered in a white blanket. It's so beautiful to see the trees bedazzled - I've been waiting to see this for days. My counterpart even called to see if I was finally pleased because apparently all I've talked about for the past month is when it was going to snow. It's strange how much a bit of snow can uplift my mood!

By 11am the internet went out but that's not so abnormal as a bout of wind or rain or even sun for that matter can cause it to malfunction. Instead of checking my email, I went to shower but no water - again, not that out of the ordinary. Alas, I went to the fridge to see what wonderful dish I just might whip up today and discovered that the power was out as well. Oh my, a little snow and it all goes to pot, this could be a long winter. Nevertheless, I was still quite excited about the snow, so I put on my long underwear, performed a little Europa FM jazzercise to warm up and continued winterizing my wardrobe. I figured I might as well go out to enjoy the splendor and run some errands.

Walking into town I attempted to catch some snowflakes on my tongue but quickly realized that my jerky head movements resembled a drastic tick. I immediately ceased that movement as I'm finally getting to know my neighbors...I don't want to go back to being the crazy American. Down the street they are building a ridiculously gianormous house and I've come to routinely speak with one of the workers as I walk by each day. Earlier this summer, my running struck his curiousity and one day he stopped me to ask what in the world I was doing and why. Our acquaintenceship only blossomed from there. When his work consists of digging holes, which strangely appears to be at least once a week, he likes to joke that he is digging to America.

Although it's Saturday and the bank is closed, I was still able to successfully access the ATM - sometimes I get nervous that technology will fail and I will get trapped in the entrance so I usually stick to open bank hours. I wasn't entirely sure if the electricity place (yes you still have to pay your bills in person here) and post office were open so I headed there next, no such luck. However, I was able to find a store open to buy more credit for my phone. As I walked through town, I noticed they were setting up a stage on the Plateau. Could it be true? Maybe there was going to be an outdoor concert in the snow. Just around the riverbend I ran into a man, who had approached me on the street two months ago asking if I was American. How do they know? And even before I utter a stutter of Romanian? It's not like I go streaking through the quad waving a giant American Flag. That's one thing that will never to cease to amaze me...unless of course, I find out what that tipping point is. Any hooters, he explained there would be some Popular (folk) dancing on the Plateau tonight. Just when I didn't think this day could get any better; I have been yearning for some form of live entertainment or any entertainment not produced by my imagination. However, he then started talking about chess and that Bobby Fischer was going to be at the High School next Tuesday, so perhaps I was not understanding him correctly because isn't Bobby Fischer dead? I'll just have to wait and see.

I continued onto the Piata to buy some fresh produce and I noticed the vendors were almost down to just root vegetables - potatoes, carrots, onions. I passed two Roma ladies dressed in traditional Gypsy garb, who I recognized from a few days ago. One of them had been performing some type of magic voodoo on a man (I apologize that I don't know what it was exactly, please excuse my ignorance, I will be sure to do my homework.) She had been talking to the man and at the end made a hand motion, as if she were releasing powder or dust, towards his mouth and then his unit. Absolutely fascinating, I must find out more. Today, when I walked by she said she had just the thing for me but I kindly declined because many of the vendors make such offers. I bought onions from my favorite lady, who is extremely patient with my Romanian and often encourages further discussion, for which I'm quite grateful.

On my way to the super market, I ran into two of my sitemates on seperate accounts. We agreed to meet up later to make dinner and check out the "concert." After getting my groceries I headed home satisfied with my progress. An older neighbor lady, who reminds me of a combination of both my grandmas, met me at her gate. She expressed disappointment that I did not stop by the other day when she had asked. I apologized and explained I must have misunderstood her. Nevertheless, she smiled, tweaked my cheek like I was 5 and gave me a plate of food to take home. When I reached my nextdoor neighbor's house, she was waiting for me with my mail (for some reason it goes to her house.) When I asked how she was, she replied unhappily, "Ce sa fac? What to do? There is no water, power, etc." For some reason when I smiled and stated in agreement, "nope, nothing," a small smile broke across her face - the first one I've ever seen. I climbed my stairs, stomped my boots and took in one last breath of the fresh snow air. I could not have been happier.

Although...I watched Into the Wild last night and at the end he realized that "happiness is only true when shared." That exact sentiment is what makes this experience difficult. I definitely am not isolated in the wilderness of Alaska but I do have a lot of me time, so it was humorous to see some of the similarities of how one fills that time - talking to yourself, having loud random outbursts, etc. Well, time to fac foc. I guess on days like today I can be happy that my house is heated with wood.

No comments: