Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Thinking Out Loud

Where does one go from here? Although I have a year before my Close of Service in Romania, the time has come…I need to start answering that dreaded question. Until now, I’ve been able to comfortably live these past 15 months in the present; I haven’t had to worry about the future, I haven’t had to worry about tomorrow. For the first time, I have been able to focus on today. And quite frankly, I like it. It makes me happy, I like who I am when I’m off the planning. Whether I wanted to or not, I was forced to learn how to live life on the fly and let me tell you – it is grand!


So, do I brace the future with a cold shoulder? Why go back to a life where that is impossible? To a life that has a prerequisite of planning? Where even the prerequisites cause undue stress and unhappiness? Why? Well…plain and simple, because that’s my home. That’s where my family and friends are. That’s where my heart and soul lay. That’s where my mentality was created, my need for competition derived, my sense of curiosity sparked and freedom allowed me to become me. Consequently, where does one go from here?

4 comments:

Erin said...

there's a big little city called reno that has lots of vacant apartments and two volunteers for the price of one...

:) the dreaded questions are always answered through time. don't stress yoself and do continue to enjoy the present!

Grandma Shirl said...

just checking-more later

Anonymous said...

I always feel like that everytime I have to head back home.
Do I go back home, where my loving husband is waiting for me, or do I stay wherever I am, feeling glad there is no ice, that I don't have to push the trash can to the curb, that I don't have to listen to the most recent statistics on ID theft? Travels make you wonder what you do, why you are in America, and in a sense it also makes you love it - perhaps is kind of a combination of feeling sorry for what our country has become, but also in a sense, I think it has to do with whom we have turned into through our experiences, through discovering ourselves going to other places, being among other people who look at us funny and who can laugh at length.
I totally understand how you feel. I am in a way going through something like this now, wondering how I will feel going back to Mexico after all these years. I was terrified, Pepsi, I didn't know what to expect. I know my spanish is not as sharp as it used to, I know people can think I have become way too Americanized - well, I've been officially an American for several years for starters!- I am dealing with all these notions of being and not being, of feeling and not wanting to feel, of knowing without really wanting to know...

I love you! Let's Skype soon, ok?
I'm leaving for Mexico on July 10, will be there until September 20. Then off to Morocco on October 17.

Love you!

The Queen

Anonymous said...

You better come to Morocco: we must to go to Casablanca and ride camels!