Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Katinka Strikes Again

Well...needless to say, the basketball challenge against the 8th Grade Girls did not go well. We lost 48-18. Not too bad since most of our team had never played before. Also in our defense, their Coach Katinka Gadovananana played and she was a beastly All-Star (please see photo album for actual images). There was not a player on our team who went home untouched by Ole Katinks. Although we did not have skills or endurance on our side, it was still a fun cross-cultural experience.


On the other hand, our guys team did win. However, they have been practicing endlessly - not everyone had the advantage of the Mormon Church Facilities. Supposedly there is going to be a rematch next week but I'm foreseeing hospitalization. My favorite part besides Katinka of course, was going to class the next morning and our professor had written the score of our game on the board - pure mockery. Nothing we do around here goes unnoticed!

Yesterday for our practicum, our counterpart brought us to a Drug Rehabilitation Center in Brebu (about 30km away). The facility, which is just over a year old, is up in the mountains and set up like a farm. I wish I would have brought my camera because it was absolutely gorgeous.

4 comments:

sarah said...

Katinka! HAHAHAHAHA! It sounds like quite the experience. I wish we all could have been there to cheer you on.

I'm in Cleveland right now for work and my allergies are kicking my butt. It isn't very pretty here (at least the part I'm at). In my attempt to find my hotel last night I found the part of town where all the strip clubs and sex shops are, and there were a lot. I started to panick about where my hotel was, but low and behold, I had taken a wrong turn =)

Love you and be safe!

tannamarie said...

bets, i love reading about your experiences! you may have to get a bit physical for the rematch. put your shoulder into things and show those girls how it's done. have fun, post more! -rcoady

Anonymous said...

YES!! Props to Swingers softball.

You'll get um next time. Try the leg-humper defense. That will throw Katinka off her game and they will crumble.

Miss your face!
Lesa

Anonymous said...

Those chicks look tough!

Is Katinka related to Katinka-inka boduovenena-naaaa???
Yes, I still quote from Zoolander. And if you are going to ask, yes! I think it is a masterpiece! Did you hear me? A masterpieceeeeeeeeeee!
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!

Love ya!

Gabitch