Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Little Bit of Dis 'N Dat


On the left is from a trip to Sinaia I took a couple of weeks ago. This is a picture of Peles Castle, the home of Romanian's King Carol I until his death in 1914. Peles is considered one of the most beautiful castles in all of Europe. Construction began in 1873 and the masterpiece of German new-Renaissance Architecture was completed by 1883. It was the first castle in the world to be fully operated by electric power. The castle has 160 rooms, all lavishly filled with Europeans finest art, German stained glass windows, ebony and ivory sculptures. King Carol I was a great collector and one of his greatest was his Armory Collection.

This was my virgin castle experience so of course I had to do the tour. It was absolutely amazing, the amount of detail that went into decorating was unbelievable.

For more pictures please check out the link to the right, I think it should work. They are not very exciting yet but all in good time!

Other than that, I've been filling my days with learning the language and a few schoolyard games as shown to the right. We ("The Americans") have actually been challenged to a basketball game by the school team. That should be happening tomorrow and my guess is that things will not go well.

Friday we have site announcements, so I will finally know where and how I will spending the next two years. Obviously I'm pretty excited but the thought of actually being all by myself definitely freaks me out.




1 comment:

sarah said...

The castle looks beautiful. If I was Bill Gates I would build a castle and live in it. Ok, even if I wasn't Bill Gates and say instead I was a prince in Saudi Arabia or a mafioso in Russia - regardless, somone with a lot of money, I would build a castle. I don't care if it is excessive. I would let you come visit anytime you want and you could stay as long as you want. In fact I would probably have wings built for everyone I knew and then allow them to help in the choice of decor. How would you decorate your wing?