Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

I Swear

We have officially been sworn-in as actual Peace Corps Volunteers. After 10 weeks of training and holding up our right hands stating a quite stern (and frankly kind of intense) oath, we have morphed into genuine white doves. Thus far, our group, the 24th group of volunteers in Romania since 1992, has maintained all individuals – no men down. Our ceremony was held in Bucharest at the US Ambassador’s residence, and was surprisingly, kind of a big deal. There was strangely a handful of press, please check out the following link to see an article about the event. http://bucharest.usembassy.gov/US_Policy/Press_Releases/Peace_Corps_04052008.html

Even Ethan Hawke’s mother came to wish me well. Her son wanted to come in person and express his gratitude/love for me but was caught on-site filming his new movie in Mozambique. FACT: That is entirely all falsified information. However, his mother was in fact in attendance. Mrs. Hawke previously served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Romania and currently now has her own NGO in Bucharest. Just another fun factoid for my friends.

During the ceremony, I realized this was the first important event, or even unimportant event for that matter, that my family has not attended. It did sadden me a bit to think how great of a family I have and if it was silly to be separated from them by choice. Perhaps, but at that very moment, I heard the ambassador say, “Well shit Sue, somebody’s gotta solve world peace.” Whether that was a figment of my imagination or the first truthful statement I’ve heard in the last 8 years, I accepted this as FACT #2, counted my lucky stars and was grateful my gazda family was able to make it to the ceremony.

2 comments:

Amy Springer said...

omg this makes me totally love Ethan!

Erendira en el Desierto said...

ETHAN HAWKE IS THE LOVE OF MY LIFE AND YOU MET HIS MOTHER????? I am so jealous!!!!
Greetings from Tunisia! http://lasbatallaseneldesierto.blogspot.com

Love you,

Gabitch