Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Friday, May 23, 2008

Beauty & "The Beast"

Despite my original beliefs that my new gazda’s name was Beast (which much to my dismay is not), she is actually yet another kind and hospitable Romanian. I have been in my new town for 2 weeks now and have already grown quite fond of this little diamond in the rough. Technically, it’s probably the rough in the diamond, for the Bucovina area is absolutely gorgeous. Any direction you look, mountains can be seen. However, I’ve yet to figure out how to get up into those mountains. That I agree is a strange statement but I have succeeded in getting passed by more horse drawn carts then cars on my runs. The small/rural town life will definitely take some getting used to but one I’m definitely looking forward to. Not only do I have to be on the look out for stray dogs and cats, I must be attentive to cows, horses, goats, sheep and the ole cocker-doodlers. Due to this recent development, I’ve reconsidered getting my own goat, which of course I’d name Stella, and waiting until I can be assured that she will not attack me. On the plus side, I have yet to see a squirrel, so I’m foreseeing a grand decrease in my personal blood pressure. During my first week in Campulung Moldovenesc, I got to experience my first glass of milk in almost three months. Unfortunately, I cannot tell a lie, it tasted like straight up cow teat. The milk did come directly from the source, so I suppose that is a taste that is to be expected. Nevertheless, I yearn for a large glass of skim milk. Okay, enough animal talk, I’m starting to bore myself and I realize you didn’t sign up for the 4H newsletter.

I’m slowly learning not to freak out when strangers start talking Romanian to me, and actually attempting to speak with them. Although both parties are probably leaving thinking the “conversation” was about two entirely different topics, I feel a warmth in my heart, which I now realize is probably the beginning of an anxiety induced heart attack. Either way, I survived, shared a laugh with an old bunica, and befriended Maria, who gave me a kilo of evergreens to make syrup to cure my potential sore throat and back.

My first Saturday here I got to go to someone’s cabin in Pojorita for the night. We had a nice cultural exchange via a pancake contest, Romanian vs. American. It was a tough call since Romanian pancakes are actually crepes. Once again, no men down, just two pancakes that I failed to flip back into the pan.

The following weekend I went to visit another volunteer in Vatra Dornei, an hour train ride away. There I got to experience my first Afinata, booze made with real live blueberries, a deliciously delightful experience. Additionally, I climbed my first mountain, which proved to be far more difficult then I expected but definitely worth the wheezing. Next on tap, the thrill-seeking adventure to the hometown of Nadia!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A. I believe the pictures taken at the cabin are fake
B. It appears as if the cabin is located in the town that Cold Mountain was filmed in....No?

Amy Springer said...

lol about the milk.

Bets, you crack me up! Can I come visit? Will you pay for my flight? JK!