Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks


As a foreigner, stranger or misfit (insert the adjective that best suits you), you are obviously in a constant state of observation of all the newness but what one doesn’t expect is the forced analysis of your own culture. Regardless if it’s an unconscious action, you are exposing yourself and all your odd doings as well; whether it’s through language, traditions, superstitions, etc…. people are going to ask you why…and strangely, I often don’t know. I mean…what in the hell is a “shit eating grin” and why would someone be eating shit, let alone grinning after doing so? Why do we put a shoe out for St. Nick? What are some traditional American foods? Perhaps I’m more ignorant than the average bird but I’m continuously stumped by such questions.


However, as of late, various individuals have been asking me what Thanksgiving is all about and as my favorite holiday, I was a bit more confident in my explanation. Although the exact logistics of the actual first Thanksgiving is debatable and whether or not it was actually religiously conceived, we can all agree that it began as a feast of gratitude to celebrate the harvest and continues to this day to be a time to truly express what we are thankful for. Although I hate that the Pilgrims shared this first feast with the Native Americans to thank them for their help in learning to live off this new land, and then ironically proceeded to annihilate the Indians in the following years, I like to believe that the Pilgrims’ gratefulness in the beginning was genuine. For me, Thanksgiving captures all the elements that I deem important without any strings attached like many other Holidays. Thanksgiving embraces one of the essences of life – spending the entire day to just BE with those you love.


Although I hate being away from Grandma’s famous mashed potatoes and gravy and missing the family Turkey Bowl (American Football game), I have much to be thankful for. Given that my Grandpa is not here to make me say what I’ve been grateful for this past year, I’m going to make you listen. Since being away from home allows me to realize on a daily basis how grateful I am for my family and friends, I’d like to focus on all the little things we tend to overlook and take for granted. This year I’d like to give my thanks to:


* Sobas (wood burning stoves)

* People on the street recognizing who I am and saying hello

* The beautiful landscape of Bucovina

* Not having to drive in Romania

* My landlord leaving kindling and apples on my front steps

* Getting mail

* The Piața (Fresh Farmer’s market)

* Vin Fiert (Boiled Wine) & Afinata (Homemade Blueberry alcohol)

* Bunicas (grandmas, specifically really old and little ones wearing head scarves)

* Ciorba Radeautana, mujdei, sarmale and halva

* The diversity of each day

* Trains, crowded Maxi Taxi’s and caruțas


And the list could go on for pages...Thank you to all of those who have opened up your minds, arms and homes to a strange foreign misfit…you have made my experience in Romania one I shall forever remember!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And we are thankful to have you!