Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Falling


I’m in love, I’m in love, what a glorious day! Sometimes in the off season I wonder if I’m often glorifying the wonders of winter a bit too much but now that it’s here…I’m reminded all over again just how wonderful winter really is! I love waking up to a fresh blanket of snow and even more so, when it’s still snowing! I love looking out my window into the valley of Cȃmpulung to see smoke coming out of everyone’s chimneys against the frosted landscape! I love that I can see my breath in my bathroom and kitchen! I love wearing long underwear religiously! I love tromping through the fresh snow! I love seeing all the old school sleds and people using them to haul their potato sacks, Christmas trees and children through town! I love everyone’s giant fur hats…I only wish I had one too! I love that the workers at the post office lick and apply all my stamps! I love walking through Valea Seacă because there are more horse drawn sleighs there! I love that the horses wear red pom poms and sometimes really do have jingle bells! I love that snow makes all my old hiking routes new again! I love being in the middle of the forest and looking up into the frosted pine trees! I love that I ended up sliding down the mountain under all the trees on my ass and released a whoo hoo! I love that they were playing Christmas carols outside on the Plateau today! I love that I saw Strega Nona hobble across town! I love seeing people put chains on their cars to get up my hill! I love that one of my chores is carrying wood into the house! I especially love that my wood is dry this year! I love coming home to fac foc (make fire) and listening to the crackling while I regain warmth! I love that my hands are often stained black from the fac’ing! I love that I set up a make shift bed on the floor right next to my soba and listen to the fire as I drift off to sleep! I love that living in my Bouse is like being up at the cabin! I love being in love with winter! What can I say…I’ve fallen for it once again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOt going to lie, you got me with your title and intro:)
Your description of the snow almost made me think I was there!
What I realy would have like to see was you sliding down the mountain, whooping it up through the forest!!!
Miss you. Next year...extreme sledding on Christmas Eve!! Be there!!! Love you Bets.

Erin said...

i love your outlook on life, b. it's amazing.

Anonymous said...

You seem to live a pretty bohemian life. I wonder how all this will look when you get back to the US.

C.

Anonymous said...

HO HO! Good one, Bibbity! I thought you had fallen on more than your backside. Glad it's not hard times, and that you are enjoying the tundra you now called home. I miss your in-person delivery, but am thankful I can still get the expressions through your style.

Feliz Navidad!
Rebecca