Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Ray of Light

A few weeks ago I helped some friends move into a new bloc apartment. The other people helping were some of the most welcoming and happiest people that I have met in Romania. One in particular won me over and became my new best friend…a 3 year old name Amelia. Between carrying in loads of whatever, I played an array of games, including piaČ›a and hide-n-seek (she never did quite understand why I couldn’t fit in the armoire.) Since then I’ve only had one other brief encounter with my new BF, as we passed in the streets, and I haven’t had much reason to be chipper…but that’s changed and she’s done it once again.


During my tutoring session yesterday, my tutor’s wife came home and asked if my life has drastically improved since meeting Amelia. I had to sit and think for a moment because the past little while hasn’t been that particularly grand. Seeing my efforts to think, Lori offered some help… “Because Amelia has been praying for you every single day. If she forgets to say your name at a meal, she’ll drop to her knees as soon as she remembers ‘and Betsy too!’” I was brought back to life. I hope I never forget the small individual moments that make life worth waking up to every morning.

7 comments:

Auntie Jenni said...

Amelia sounds precious.

meobooker said...

That's the cutest thing I've ever heard!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Bets, that is so cute! How can you go wrong when you have someone like that on your side?!!
It won't be long now!
Love you! MOM

Erin said...

i'm not your bff anymore? :( but who could compete with amelia. she sounds like a little speck of sunshine. i hope things start perking up for you, b. see you next week!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you post a picture of her....she sounds adorable. The innocence of children really does bring about a different perspective.
-- Rebecca

Anonymous said...

i think i wet my check

Anonymous said...

children are pure love.