Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Traveling Beyond Barriers


Two years ago when I was assigned to be a volunteer for both Fundatia Orizonturi and Centrul Scolar, I truly had no idea what was in store for me. Little did I know, I would get to work with the best of both worlds; adults and children, nongovernmental and state entities, small and large work environments, volunteer and paid employees, and the list could go on forever. Not only have I gotten to experience these aspects individually but I also got to see them come together through various collaborations.


Our project, Traveling Beyond Barriers, created a unique experience in that rarely do the groups described above get to work together, let alone successfully. I consider myself fortunate for I believe that I am among few, not just in Romania but throughout the world, who get to participate in such an opportunity.


However, through all these differences and observations, not just in this project but also from my work experience prior to Romania, there is one significant similarity; the successful impact of social integration. Anywhere you go, people are labeled, categorized and treated accordingly. Inevitably the mind applies labels in order to file information but it us, as individuals and as a society, that choose to exclude someone. Regardless of our own label, we all simply want the opportunity to be a part of the world that surrounds us... and when social inclusion presents itself, we flourish. The following link leads to the project magazine that was developed to demonstrate how the project participants thrived in their own community but fails to entirely illustrate the illumination of their souls!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Bets,
Your closing remarks are very touching and even though you are leaving dear people in Romania you are returning to dear people back in the US that love you and miss you very much. It has been wonderful to be able to share your experiences with you. Have a safe journey home Betsy I can hardly wait to see you.
Grandma Squirrel

Anonymous said...

Profound thoughts, B. I am thankful that this experience has created a lasting impression deep within you. It will carry you forward to many great things, which in turn will bring great things to others.
Rebecca