Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Counting Sheep

Although I lay beneath the protection of the Iron Curtain (my 92 pound comforter that I like to think was made 92 pounds for cold winters but is actually 92 pounds because it is in fact 92 years old), I still lay awake at 5am. At this point, I just don’t think sleep is meant to be. Perhaps it’s the warmth of the room that keeps me awake, or perhaps the strangeness of being in only a t-shirt and a single pair of pants. It’s been 3 days since I’ve worn a pair of long underwear. Furs are dwindling. Yesterday the temperature of the bathroom was tolerable enough to shave my legs. My fac’ing foc (making fire) efforts are slowly diminishing. Bunica’s are beating their rugs. Vin fiert is hard to find. The dogs are getting friskier. I think…just maybe…that spring has finally decided to grace us with her presence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Betsy, I have just recently come upon your journal and have read all your entries since its inception. Well done. They have given me another perception of Romanian experiences that I shall take to heart as I begin my Romanian experience in May 2010 as a teacher of English in the middle and high schools.
I am probably closer to the age of Grandma Squirrel than you but don't quite qualify for the oldest Peace Corps-ian.
Your experience on re-entry will be of great interest too.

Friend, Amishquilting

Betsy said...

Well thank you! I'll just miss you by a week or so but I wish you the best of luck! Enjoy every minute, even the bad ones. Noroc - Betsy