Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Filling Voids



Walking through the streets I use to see people who I could have sworn was someone from home; and since I often had the time and was always in need of a friend I took the next step past the double take, which of course, would rationally be stalking. However, one can only stalk so many people and join in random funeral processions out of curiosity for so long…so I’ve finally wrapped my head around the concept that the coincidence rate of bumping into a previous acquaintance in the same small logging town in the Eastern Carpathian mountains is quite low and frankly, not reasonable thinking of a sane mind. Not wanting my new (potential) friends to think that I didn’t possess a sound psyche; I learned to semi-surrender the stalking and simply continue the conversation with myself, “oh, there’s the Romanian version of Ralphie or crazy Aunt Linda.”


Today I started thinking of how I’ve replaced those faux-friend sightings with new faces and images. It’s kind of strange how some of the hardest things to leave will be the ideas and people that filled the voids of what I missed the most and had the hardest time adapting to when I first came to Romania. This only further strengthens my belief that to quit an addiction or habit, it must be replaced with another. Yet, some relationships and aspects are irreplaceable, so I adapted, stretching my emotional and mental creativity. I may not have done many things right or accomplished much but I found what I needed to survive…and sometimes, they even found me.


My neighboring bunica was one of two people who sought me out. Okay, one of three but that third man might be a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket. The other was a neighbor girl. Literally, they were the only two people in the past 2 years who made that first move to introduce themselves to me. Those two individuals helped fulfill the grandmotherly and sisterly bonds that have always been an important constant in my life. I’m sure bunica and girl will never know how important of a role they have played.


As I’m starting to say goodbyes, there seems to be a surprising theme developing; a request that I send them a wedding invitation. The first time it happened, I responded, “But I’m not getting married.” Bunica says, “No, when you go back to America of course,” as if upon re-entry to the country I will be assigned a fiancée. After spending some time in another culture, I’ve gotten quite good at stifling a smirk and just agreeing to the topic at hand…whether it be that I’m going to freeze my ovaries because I’m not wearing slippers, fall ill to the curent or that Palinka really is incredibly healthy for you. So I agree to send Bunica my wedding invitation, only to realize that it wasn’t particularly because she wanted to celebrate this occasion with me. The request was more so a threat, making sure that I do in fact get married because what else could I possibly do next.


As I’m starting to pack…okay, I’ll be honest…I started consolidating months ago…thanks to my ever trusty soba, my Peace Corps manuals were the first to go. Nevertheless, the bookshelf on my porch has become the rack of my unwanteds and even some of the wanteds that just aren’t going to be making the cut for the 2 bag limit home. It’s quite obscene what I have amassed in the short time I’ve been here…not so much the amount but the absurdity of the what. Regardless, I have shamelessly started leading my visitors to this enchanted shelf to see what they would like to take off my hands. This activity has quickly become my new favorite…as I demonstrate the gloriousness of post-it flags, shower caps and decorative holiday oddities. Today, my landlady asked when my “store” would be open again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEtsy~ This could quite posibly be the best blog you have written yet!
I am literally sobbing at what an amazing experience you have had. Trust me Betsy, you are important to those people in a way that YOU may never know. Cumpulung has become your home and it's hard to leave, and we are waiting with open arms at your first home. We love you!! Mom

Anonymous said...

Betsy

The people of Campulung have a true friend called Betsy. I know they will really realize that once you have left their country. Your blog has captured the real you. Keep packing and keep your heart and eyes on your first home. Love you, Grandma Squirrel

mom said...

Betsy,
You are the best writter ever. I think you should take a picture with all your freinds (one at a time) and then when you get home you can write them each a letter or eamil and thank them for taking you under their wing, being your freind, taking the time to teach you Romainian, how to make palinka, cook saremele, etc. then you can send them the picture to remember you. You can include each one of the stories in your long anticipated best selling book "I was a rabble rouser in romainia" or something like that :). I love you lots, Love dad

n.a.t.a.l.i.e. said...

:) she liked the store. i think shes been the best client yet!!! aw bets, im going to miss you!

Anonymous said...

Has anyone claimed the skip-it yet? hahaha -yo sista

Mirela said...

I think that all the time we're filling voids...
And about the open store: it makes me feel sad because it means you'll go and I'll miss you!

Victoria said...

Betsy- good luck saying your goodbyes. I have loved reading your blog (your parents are quite right, you're a beautiful, funny and insightful writer) and I can't wait to see you when you are back in the US... that might be a ways from now, but someday pal!

Anonymous said...

BRow - your blog has been fun and funny, but also educational and heartening re: the joy and difficulty of making human connections. It seems that you have learned a lot about other cultures and history, but mostly about yourself. I hope that continues to be, as you need to realize that you DID make a difference in their lives. How much is unimportant; it is the quality of the relationsihp that matters.

I hope we can get together after your travels abroad --
Rebecca