Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Surpriza Ciobănașului


Post #70…my final dispatch from the land of Romania. It’s my second to last night in Cȃmpulung Moldovenesc: so many goodbyes behind me and yet, the hardest ones are still ahead. Although I’ve been giving away my things like they were the hottest items on the market since the Beanie Baby, I haven’t been able to make the jump to the actual packing stage – and anyone familiar with my superior dilly dallying skills knows that I could easily fill my last 48 hours doing just that. While it’s still not entirely clear to me what I’m packing for, I realized it needs to be done if not for the sole reason that it’s on my To Do list. Finding a pauza from my distractions, I finally began the daunting task of packing my life back up into 2 bags…but of course not before fac’ing my very last foc and turning to my bestest and most consistent friend…Europa FM, which is conveniently playing The Final Countdown as we speak…she never fails me.


Obviously I’ve stayed focused on the task since I’m now writing but I’ve already painted my toe nails and was running low on procrastination antics. But as the ole saying goes… “Procrastination is a lot like masturbation; in the end…you’re only fucking yourself” …so… I’ll keep this short.


One of the aspects that I have enjoyed the most of being in Romania is the pure spontaneity…that element of surprise that never once missed a day. At least once a day, something (good or bad) made me ask myself if this was really happening and in the end never failed to bring a smile to my face. Aside from the wonderful friends I’ve made here and the breathtaking landscape that I got to wake up to each morning, I will bar none miss the flabbergasting shenanigans the most. The constant exposure to newness creates an amazing stimulation in life. Just yesterday, 3 days before I depart my home in Bucovina; for the very first time in my life I heard a real live Cuckoo Bird and used a tampon without an applicator! You see…they’re not always huge affairs, in fact they rarely are but they are simply new and with the right frame of mind (or perhaps a catawampus one)…quite exciting!


I’m not sure if it’s been merely the fish out the water phenomenon, the Peace Corps experience or Romania but I’d like to acknowledge all three and thank everyone who has crossed my path along the way – I’ve truly had the time of my life. Baga mare!!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am honored to leave the first comment on your last blog from Campulung. Although I had to bleep a couple words, it was an amazing goodbye. True to form, you are putzing in the wee hours of the morning:)Sleep well one more night under the iron blanket. Safe travels baby girl. I love you and will see you at HOME!!

Erin said...

i'm glad i'm not the only who hasn't started packing...it gets in the way of saying goodbye! ack, so much to do!! see you poimaine!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Betsy, for sharing all 3of these adventurous groupings with us. It has been a fun ride in the sidecar.
- Rebecca

Gabriela T said...

Always when I pass near Ciobanasul cu surpriza I will remember with pleasure our trip there. It was an wonderful day.
Draga nepoata, always baga mare! You are so talented, intelligent and full of humor. Even if you have a huge audience in front of you don't hesitate sa bagi mareeeeeee :-)