Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lăcrima



Of all the times I could have publicly cried…the tears came today. I didn’t expect it nor could I fight it. Today was a hard day of goodbyes, not only to the people but the way of life.


Although much time has passed and I can now pick up the general direction of conversation, I found myself unconsciously blocking out the foreign sounds of the language as I did exactly 2 years ago when I first attended the cenaclu. Ironically, I might have even been wearing the same outfit (yes, I’m looking forward to new clothes). My mind wandering and thought hopping as it attempted to address the mental disarray; particularly…what have I gotten myself into this time?


At the end, the members thanked and presented me with a traditional homemade cloth; and that’s when I suddenly realized that this would possibly be the last time I would attend an activity…the tears began and despite my best efforts (and trust me they were, as much as I hate talking in front of people I hate to cry in front of them even more) they wouldn’t stop. Regretfully, I was not able to compose myself to say more than Vă mulțumesc.


The situation was slightly awkward because the majority of the people in attendance today were new patients from the hospital that I had never met before; and although the members I did know were saying kind words, I knew they weren’t feeling the same intense sentiment as I but that’s easily because I’ve gained so much more than I was able to offer.


Also in attendance was the curator of the local ethnography museum; he shared some of his experiences and upon finding out that I was leaving presented me with a wooden spoon (fairly traditional to the area, and remember, Cȃmpulung Moldovenesc does host the largest wooden spoon museum in Europe…if not the only!) I’m not sure if I was more in awe by his pure generosity or the fact that he just happened to have a large carved wooden spoon in his briefcase.


Afterwards, some of the students who I’ve spent the most time with came to the Blogging club and gave me a thank you note that they had all signed. One girl who’s in the process of slipping through the cracks and hasn’t attended any activities in almost a year came today…her mere presence impressed me but then I read what she wrote;


“Să nu uitați niciodată că mai aveți o familie și în Romȃnia.” -Andreea


“Never forget that you also have a family in Romania.”


What more can I say…today it was hard to say goodbye.

2 comments:

Gabriela T said...

It was hard for us too to say you good bye! I even can not believe that in almost one week I will not "gossip" with my neapoata any more, we will not meet at the "corner" or Blogging club, we will not...work together here, in Campulung. BUT I will always remember with pleasure and gratitude not only the good moments of us but also those less good, moments in which my nepoata was one of my best and helpful friend. La revedere, nepoata! Poate intr-o zi ne vom revedea si ne vom aminti cu placere cei doi ani in care te-am 'nervat! :-) Sa ai de la viata ce este mai bun. Cu drag, Matusha

Betsy said...

Matusa mea...mai facem gossip...chiar cand sunt "in the united states". Te turd - Nepoata ta